A brand new year, brimming with possibilities, is the perfect time to get your home in order! In the spirit of new beginnings, here are a few New Year’s resolutions for your home.
Apply a fresh coat of paint
- If you’ll be spending much of the next 12 months here, why not give your home a little face lift? Get a quote from a professional or, if you’re handy, dedicate a few weekends to doing the job yourself. If you’re trying to sell in the new year, opt for a neutral shade that will appeal to most buyers. If not, just go with a color you love!
- Kick the new year off by cleaning out closets, drawers and cubbies. Organize room by room with boxes labeled ‘put away’, ‘give away/sell’, ‘store’ and ‘throw away’. Sort any out of place items accordingly. Then, think twice about anything you bring home this year.
- When was the last time your carpets were cleaned? Or your oven scrubbed? Prioritize some of the heftier tasks, then work out a schedule for keeping the house tidy for the remainder of the year. At the end of each day put all dishes in the dishwasher, dirty clothes in the hamper, clean clothes in the closet and bring everything back to its assigned place without exception. At the end of each week wipe down surfaces, dust every room, clean windows and mirrors, vacuum, take out trash, change bed linens and mop floors. Split duties between family members if possible, so the entire process can be taken care of in a timely manner each week.
- While big steps like installing solar panels or committing to compositing are stellar, you can also go green via a few quick, easy lifestyle changes. Start by switching off lights when leaving a room, turning the AC off or setting the thermostat 10 to 15 degrees lower while at work or asleep. Save water by air drying clothes, waiting for the dishwasher to fill before running and installing low-flow showerheads. Turn off power strips, install LED bulbs, unplug unnecessary appliances and set devices to sleep mode when not in use.
- According to HomeAdvisor, an Indoor Air Quality Test can help ensure a happy and healthy 2019 for an average of just $410. Check for radon, carbon monoxide, mold, VOCs and, if your house was built before 1978, lead and asbestos. Preventative measures this year can save you a lot of trouble down the line.
Learn something new
- Invest in your financial education! Take a financial literacy class at an adult education center, online, or at a junior or four-year college. If time or money is limited, opt for a few self help books. Everyone can stand to learn something new, especially if it means taking control of your home ownership journey this year.
A local Motto Mortgage agent can help with these and other resolutions for your home. Happy 2019 from Motto Mortgage!